Sunday, May 15, 2016

wip: Sock With a Side of Twist

The weather in the Yukon was glorious this weekend.  Clear blue skies, just enough of a wind to keep the bugs away, and temperatures in the 20s Celsius (70s Fahrenheit).

Which of course meant nearly the entirety of Whitehorse abandoned the city and went camping.

We didn't go too far, just out to a campground less than an hours drive from the city.  We'd normally go further, but a group of Darryl's friends were there and saved us a spot, and we just wanted to camp so weren't picky.

wip: With a Side of Twist
Between trying to wrap up my work at my current job - which is ending in June, and trying to work out my next adventure, I've been very busy and very stressed out.  On Saturday, I Gave Myself The Day Off, and basically parked myself in front of the fire, read my book and knit two thirds of a sock.

It was also glorious.

wip: With a Side of Twist
Here, you can see the progress I made.  This was sort of an accidential sock.  I'd wanted some plain knitting for all of the report reading I do at work (does anyone else find it easier to focus on boring writing if you keep your hands busy?  I comprehend dull reports much better when I'm knitting...), so I grabbed some sock yarn and needles.  But then forgot the pattern.  Then I went straight to knit night at our LYS after work and decided that, screw it, I'm making up my own damn sock pattern.  I feel like I've done enough now (2 pairs fingering weight and 3.4 pairs worsted weight) that I can wing it.

Granted, I was sort of grumpy at knit night, so I didn't make much progress before I tossed it aside and pestered everyone else instead.

Anywho, the pattern is inspired by Socks on a Plane, which was my original plan for this yarn.  However, as I discovered on my brother's pair of socks, I really don't like toe-up, and those are toe up.  So I figured I'd just do a basic top-down sock and add a cabled twist down one side.

wip: With a Side of Twist
Here's my twist.  It's different than the pattern above, with a bit more movement in the cable strands.  The basic twist in the Socks on a Plane pattern would've been easier, but I wanted the cables to grow from the ribbing at the top, and this is what happened.  I like it though.  It doesn't look very open here, but the socks are a little snug on me, and the open up beautifully on my leg and foot.

Okay, that's a lot of babble about a sock.  I owe you guys a MMMay update, but I was slack about taking photos last week, so I'll have to come up with something to show those.  We'll see!

How was you're weekend?  Was the weather dreamy in your neck of the woods?  I know it wasn't in Manitoba - my Mom is half-tempted to move out here with me right now.  :D

6 comments:

  1. We had the same weather here! The kids spent yesterday playing in the backyard and sprinkler :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw good, I'm glad someone else down east got a chance to enjoy the beautiful weather! My Mom was so surprised we'd gone out and asked if we'd froze. She was pretty put out that we hadn't! :D

      Delete
  2. Our weather isn't quite as warm as yours yet-this week is hovering in the 60s (Fahrenheit), but I think we're supposed to get hot next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huzzah! I'm happy that the good weather is making its way to you. :D Enjoy your weekend - I hope you do something fun!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It's a lovely colour, and it's been in my stash way too long. I'm trying to knit a lot of it down right now, so I'm happy to finally have this yarn on the needles. :)

      Delete