Tuesday, August 29, 2017

fo: Rolling Rock Henley


fo: Rolling Rock
This photo is a bit dark, but it's the closest to the true colour of this sweater, which is a dark grey/charcoal shade. The rest of the photos wound up too bright, but shows the details a bit better.  Ugh photography - you are not my thing.
Anyways, here's some photos (at last) of my Rolling Rock that I knit during the Briggs and Little Spring KAL earlier this year.  I love this sweater and I wear it regularly, but there's some major issues with it.  More on that in a second.


Pattern: Rolling Rock, by Thea Colman
Yarn: Briggs & Little Sport in Dark Grey
Mods: Not much on the upper body, all the waist shaping on the lower body.  Shortened sleeves to 3/4 length.


Things I love about this sweater:


fo: Rolling Rock
Henley neckline.  Very cleverly done and well instructed.  It makes for such a lovely neckline and one of my favourites that I've ever knit.  The buttons were some old ones I've had in my button stash for yonks, which I found for about 30 cents at a thrift shop in Manitoba.

fo: Rolling Rock
Oh wow, nice butt photo there Heather.  If I weren't too damn lazy and wanting to go to bed, I'd go back and crop it.  OH WELL BUTTS FOR YOU.
Lace pattern on the back piece only.  It's a lovely lace, is easy to remember, and I adore that it's just in the back.  Granted, it didn't show up well in this rustic wool, but the texture is there and I love that the lace pops when I wear a bright tank top underneath!

fo: Rolling Rock
Body shaping.  I added a ton of shaping to the body below the bust to make this sweater fit me better.  I think it turned out really well, and skims my body nicely.  Not too tight, not too loose, but just right = Goldilocks shaping!

fo: Rolling Rock
THIS YARN.  Dear me do I ever love Briggs & Little yarn.  It's rustic for sure, rough and a bit scratchy.  But it's warm as all get out, and so long as I'm wearing a tank top to protect my lower back and tummy, I can easily wear this against the skin.  It does soften up with washing, and I'm itching to knit another sweater from it.


Things I don't like about this sweater:


fo: Rolling Rock
The too-big upper body.  So, I wasn't thinking when I cast this sweater on.  I did choose a size that corresponded with my upper bust as I always do, but unfortunately this pattern has both that size and the one above it start with the same cast on amount, and you just add more stitches later on for the larger size (which happened to be my full bust size).  By the time I started to realize that the sweater was coming out too big, I was nearly at the sleeve divide.

fo: Rolling Rock
MOAR BUTTS.  But (hehe) you can also see how bad the upper torso fit is at the underarm.  It's too wide across the upper back.  You know, I could probably knit this whole sweater again and simply eliminate a few lace repeats form the back.  Hmmm.
Now, I don't mind ripping out a sweater if something is going wrong with it.  Better to get it over with and redo it than to wind up with a sweater you won't wear.  But I was in that KAL and I was determined to finish on time.  I wouldn't be able to do that if I ripped it.  I convinced myself that it would be alright.  Dividing for the sleeves and knitting an inch proved me wrong.  So instead of starting over, I started to do some aggressive waist shaping to get a good fit below the bust.  Not sure what my reasoning was - probably the thought that I'd get the sleeves and lower body fitted well and maybe no one would notice the poor fit above the bust.

And you know what?  It worked!  Sort of.  I point this problem out to EVERYONE, and they all say that the sweater looks great and they don't see anything wrong.  I do, of course I do.  Between the large size and the slight bias this single ply yarn creates, the neckline is actually skewed a bit, and the henley doesn't hold itself open unless I keep the sweater tugged down.

fo: Rolling Rock
But you know what?  I DON'T CARE.  Love love love this sweater and I'm going to keep wearing it with pride.  I'd like to reknit this pattern in another colour, and I'll try to get a better fit that time.  But there's so many more sweaters I want to knit in the mean time that there's no sense in resenting the problems in this one.  It's comfy to wear and looks great on me - what else could a knitter want?

12 comments:

  1. It looks great! I have a similar problem with my red and blue striped sweater- the upper body is too big and the armscye is too deep, but I really couldn't be bothered to change it! And the lower body fits well enough to make up for it. I love your henley, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of wear out of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I remember that sweater, and rather liking the fit on you. We really are our worst critics, eh? :) Thanks though, it's a lovely sweater and an interesting pattern to follow. Would recommend 100% of the time!

      Delete
  2. What a great example of a dressed-up sweatshirt sweater! I'm glad you love it even though the fit isn't perfect. As a greedy reader, I'm selfishly loving that you're going back and posting old projects. Definitely don't feel obligated to post on account of people like me, but know that each post is very much enjoyed and appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's sweet of you to say! I'm trying to get through some of my old projects, but there's been a lot, especially for the store or customer commissions, and I can't always find the pics I took of them. I'll see what I can do!

      And btw - did you ever get your blog up and running? I remember you talking about it yonks ago, but I haven't managed to hunt it down yet!

      Delete
  3. I love this pattern. You did very well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's bloody glorious and your butt is too. SO there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! I do like my butt, I just generally don't try to shove it at people. :D

      Delete
  5. It looks fantastic! I love the lace back decoration! It's a very cool detail. You did a fantastic job with it, especially the extra shaping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks. I'm trying to talk myself out of reknitting this sweater immediately. :D It's a lovely design!

      Delete
  6. It looks great! I see what you mean about the excess width at the back shoulders but honestly I wouldn't've noticed if you hadn't mentioned it. The Henley is super cute and your shaping is great! As is your butt, no need to apologize for it! 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do I keep missing your comments? This is the third as I read through old posts. Anyways, thank you so much! (Especially the butt comment ;D)

      Delete