Monday, September 28, 2015

Stupid Distracting Hobbies and Missed Eclipses

Only bit of the eclipse that I caught. :(
So I got distracted and I managed to miss the eclipse yesterday.  I'm so pissed at myself about it too, because it was a beautifully clear night here in Whitehorse and the moon was perfectly framed in my large front windows.  AND I have a camera that hates the colour green but takes wonderful pictures of the moon.  It was too light here still to see all of it, but we would've been able to see the last half at least.

I did manage to catch the very very tail end of it.  You can sort of see the Earth's shadow on the upper right side.  If you squint.  It was more evident with the bare eye, but my camera sort of caught it.  It's not as good of a picture as I can get, but I figured I'd lose my chance if I took the time to grab and set up my stand...thingy.  Thing that you put the camera on for steady pictures I'VE LOST THE WORD OMG HELP ME SOMEONE.

What was I distracted by, you ask?  A rerun of my (very unwise) favourite show, Mayday (it really don't help my flying anxiety at all) and knitting up this pretty dishcloth:

Waves of Colour Dishcloth
It's the Lizard Ridge Dishcloth by Laura Aylor (although I've dubbed it 'Waves of Colour'), knit out of some leftover bits of Bernat Handicrafter cotton I've had accumulating for a while.  It was a fantastic exercise in short rows, let me tell you, although I did substitute the Purlbee's short row technique for the one in the pattern, since it produced a much cleaner stitch.

I love the cloth and the show, but I don't think either was worth missing the eclipse.  :(  Did you get out to see it?  Was it as amazing as all of the pictures show?

If you don't say "No Heather, wasn't worth it at all, your dishcloth was a much better use of your time", I might cry.

10 comments:

  1. And you a scientist interested in the natural sciences as well :). Still we all get distracted.

    P.S. I may be a fast sewer, but knitting wise you leave me behind in the slow lane !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOO-OO-OOW. D: All the sad faces. :( :( :( :( :(

      I'd probably be faster at sewing than knitting... if I could get my sewing room cleaned and actually spend some time in there...

      Delete
  2. I can't see your earth shadow but that's still a heck of a moon- very nice for missing your tripod. Nice knitting. You're funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT'S THERE I SWEAR!! lol And TRIPOD, thank you! Wow, I completely lost the word. :D

      Delete
  3. I saw it at half- shadow, but between my cold that I'm fighting and the baby actually being asleep, I spent the rest of it in bed.I'm sad to have missed it. But it was a bad sleep night for him, so it wad the wiser move. Also, your dishcloth is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw fair enough. A cold and a baby is a much better distraction than a show I've seen before and a bit of knitting. :) I hope you're feeling better!

      Delete
  4. We went out to see it, but, oh, the mosquitoes!! It was better you stayed inside rather than risk West Nile disease or encephalitis!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS IS THE ANSWER I WANTED TO HEAR. :D I'm sorry about the West Nile/encephalitis though. :(

      Delete
  5. From our "vantage" point in Raleigh, North Carolina, we saw far more clouds than eclipse. Also, I was lured out with promises that the moon would be red, but from where I was standing, it looked its ordinary luminescent cheese color. Throw in a few chatty neighbors, and it was hardly the romantic and mysterious nighttime show I was led to believe it would be. As far as astronomical events go, I'm sure it doesn't hold a candle to the things you see regularly in the Yukon. Besides, a lunar eclipse is over in, what? a couple of hours? Whereas that dishcloth will make you smile every day for months to come. You weren't wasting time, you were investing in your lasting happiness. I'm sure Future Heather will look back and thank you for it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except *ahem* the dishcloth isn't for me. :) Fair enough though!

      I'm sorry that the eclipse viewing wasn't as romantic that it sounds like it could've been. :P

      Delete