Saturday, December 13, 2014

fo: Umaro Blanket for Mom (ssshh don't tell!)

Umaro Blanket
The never-ending blanket is done!!  Seriously, I only finished knitting this at noon on Wednesday, the day before I returned to camp and the last day I could possibly ship this thing out.  How people knit blankets (and full sized ones at that instead of wee lap blankies) out of anything finer than super bulky without tearing out their hair, I'll never know.

Umaro Blanket
Pattern: Umaro by Jared Flood
Yarn: 100% Acrylic Bernat Softee Chunky (super bulky)
Mods: Ran out of blue yarn, added brown stripe as "design element".  Did not do last half repeat because ran out of yarn again.

This pattern was lovely to knit, it was interesting and kept my interest.  So nice to watch the large scale stitch pattern develop.  The only downside was that this sucker got heavy on the needles.  So heavy that it sheared the metal on the connector piece of one of my knitting cables while I was knitting the last row!

Umaro Blanket
I was pretty sick of this blanket by the end, but I think that was because of my self-imposed deadline, and no knitting is fun under a crunch.  But I had to get it done, because the only knitted gifts I'd committed myself to was for my Mom, who hasn't gotten any knitted things from me.  She'd asked specifically for a pair of fingerless mitts, and aha damn they're not finished.  More on that later.  So I had to get this done just to send her something that was finished.

Although she nearly didn't get the blanket.  As soon as it came out of the dryer all soft and snuggly (can not believe how much this yarn softened up with a wash!), Darryl immediately stole it and wouldn't give it back.  Not even pictures made him relent.  So haha you guys get to see one in retaliation!

Umaro Blanket
For those who celebrate, how goes your Christmas prep?  Are you all chill and cool and done, sitting back and enjoying the season?  Or are you like me and getting a little manic trying to get everything done?  Are you crafting any of your gifts?

And more importantly, have you ever sent a picture of an unfinished gift with the promise that it'll will be done soon? 

-ish.

2 comments:

  1. BAHAHAHA! It looks great---and yes, super snuggly. Love the retaliation photo. ;) And the brown stripe, actually.

    I both started and finished my Christmas sewing yesterday (only two projects, both quite modest, thank goodness) but the stuff that has to be bought... aiee. :( And the deal this year was that the kids in the family would draw names and then make presents for each other. Syo informed me yesterday evening that she wants to make her cousin... a onesie. So I guess my Christmas sewing isn't done yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo way to go! Although I hear you on the "to be bought" catagory. I had about 2 days to get everything finished/bought, wrapped, packaged, and shipped back to Manitoba before leaving for camp, and yeash, I am not happy with what I managed to find. WHY DO I LEAVE THESE THINGS LAST MINUTE. And I don't even have kids to buy for. :P GOOD LUCK!

      Also good luck with the onesie! :D

      Delete