Wednesday, January 10, 2018

A Long Overdue fo: Whitehorse 2015 Year in Temperature Scarf

I don't even want to go dig up the old posts on this project.  The fact that it was knit and (nearly) finished in 2015 should say enough.  Though to be fair, the sewing in of ends only just got finished a couple of months ago, and not by me either but a friend who was tired of seeing it with it's sporadic fringe.

Without further ado, here is my finished Year in Temperature Scarf!

fo (at last): Whitehorse 2015 Year in Temperature Scarf
Yes, this is the slatwall chalkboard in the shop.  It makes for a fun display!  For those who don't know, this is a conceptual project, where you choose colours to represent different temperature ranges, and knit rows for each day in the colour that represents the temperature that day!

If you look closely, you can see each of the months labeled, the black deep colds at the beginning and ends of the year (which represents average temps of below -30C), and the swath of light pink that represents my trip to Mexico in June of that year (it was my only chance to use light pink!).  My favourite bit is the change from deep cold in early February to above zero temps within the week.  Oh Canada.

Here's the temperature ranges I chose:




RAINBOW

I used Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Sport.  Most people who knit this chose a palette that follows the standard colours used to represent temperatures ranges on weather reporting (red orange yellow green blue purple).  I wasn't a fan of how they came out though, so I picked my own colours!  I love blues and purples and burgundy, so of course that had to be my range.

I knit this sucker in a 1x1 rib and did two rows of each colour for the average daily temperature for each day.  Ravelry tells me I cast on 44 stitches and and I honestly can't remember anything else about it. 

The whole thing measures just shy of 10 feet.  This scarf only really gets broken out when it's super cold, since I can wrap this thing around my head 3 or 4 times!  Makes me laugh every time I put it on, and even more when I try to take it off and boggle at the amount of wraps.

Anywho, now that Christmas Retail Insanity is over, I'm hoping to get back into blogging.  There may be a flurry of posts in the next little bit, as I've been mentally composing a ton of them in the last month or two.  I'm glad to get this one off my list at last!  It's always nice to get an old, long-term project finished up, complete with a post. 

Have you ever tackled a conceptual project like this, and would you consider it?  Where would the temperature range sit on my chart above in your area? 

11 comments:

  1. So glad to see this! I remember when you started, and thinking it was a cool idea. I live in a temperate city in temperate New Zealand without a great temperature range so it wouldn’t be as exciting, Unless I did wind speed, or worked out a way to represent two dimensions and do both wind and rain?
    What is life like when temps are minus 30? I have no concept of what day to day life requires in the real cold. Want to post about it sometime?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo wind speed could be a cool measure! And you could add silver thread to the days when it rains, black when it storms! Haha something like that. I love the idea. :)

      Oh, it's definitely more difficult at -30C and colder. Everything is frozen up - my car will start up to -30C without the block heater being plugged in, but it's a struggle and tough on the car. I usually have to run it for a while to warm up just so that the windows will defrost/defog. My car has been annoying lately, with the inside of the windows freezing up. Ugh. Any hint of wind will bring the windchill up to the -40s, easily.

      What's nice is at those temps, it's usually too dry and too cold to snow. That means that it's NOT a damp cold and you're able to dress for it. ADD LAYERS! I actually love being out (for short periods) when it's that cold. It's usually crisp and clear and so gorgeous out, especially when hoar frost develops on every surface. The Yukon River flows though Whitehorse and is a quick flowing river; this means that it doesn't freeze up entirely, and any moisture that comes off of it doesn't make it far before it turns into thick frost layers on every surface.

      Granted, your eyelashes and hair freezes, and sometimes it hurts to breath without some sort of protection. And sometimes the air hurts your face and any other exposed skin, but that's what the layers are for! It's lovely - for a few days. Especially if you can enjoy it from somewhere warm. But when it sticks around for a week or two, it gets trying. And it's incredibly dangerous for anyone living on the streets. It's scary, at times. And you need to be very careful not to get yourself in a jam unprepared.

      I love it when it gets that cold. For a while anyways. But I can tell you, I cannot handle temps anywhere near +25C and above. This is one cold-weather woman, and I'd probably die in a warmer climate. NO THANK YOU. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Really interesting. I've always lived in moderately temperate climates and right now I'm in Wellington, New Zealand, where a cold day in winter is about 6-10 degrees C in the middle of the day and a hot day in summer is 18 - 25. I think it is 27 today and that is fairly unusual. Wind is where we excel in extremes. But I can pretty much wear the same work clothes year round if I really want to.

      Delete
  2. Yaaaaayyy! You put it up! As you know, I'm making a cross stitch with calendar squares that get filled in daily with the high temperature (and yes, I decided on doing a minimum chart but it needs to be separate. It's just too busy to have minimums mixed in with the main chart). The range for Winnipeg that I chose is +33 to -33C. I may not ever hit the -33, though if the upcoming week is as the weather people promise, it will happen on the minimum chart WITHOUT windchill! Mine is a rainbow because I adore rainbows.

    Your scarf is super wonderful and I'm glad to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I put it up because of you! Well, I'd been thinking about it anyways, but I remembered your request and figured, eh why not.

      Thanks!! I can't wait to see how your project progresses. :)

      Delete
  3. I have been contemplating a temperature blanket, but your scarf makes excellent sense.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really fun project! Makes you start to do crazy things like hope that the day will get just a bit colder so that you can use that really dark colour! :D

      Delete
  4. It's so beautiful, I love the colour range you chose. I too was thinking about our balmier weather, but also we use Celcius which has a lot less numbers, so one would have to do a one degree change to make it work. Gosh, I'm starting to sound like someone who would knit a thing! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm curious about what sort of temperature range you get over there! It's a pretty fun project - though perhaps a honkin' big scarf isn't so useful for you. I tend to use mine when temps dip well into the dark zones on my chart, since I can wrap this sucker 3 or 4 times around my head!

      Delete
  5. As always, it makes me so happy to see you posting, especially with lovely finished projects. :-) Your color choices are much prettier than the original, if I may be so bold to say so, and I'm glad you have something warm to wear on those really bitterly cold days. As for conceptual projects, I've seen a whole bunch of neat ones from designer Woolly Thoughts on Ravelry, many of which are inspired by mathematical and scientific principles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool!!! And I love your temperature palette. Gorgeous! I’m feeling very excited about giant scarves right now...

    ReplyDelete