Sunday, March 05, 2017

Mending Slippers, Mending Hearts

We're nearly a week into March and I still keep thinking it's January; I feel like I've lost February - where did you go February?  Nearly a week into March means that I've been in my new apartment for that long, and while I still feel like I'm couch surfing, it should feel more like mine soon.  I'm hoping to get the majority of my Stuffs packed up and moved to the apartment, and I'm looking forward to getting settled in here.  Some stability will help immensely.

Slipper Mending
I've been plugging away on some projects, but the best one of late was mending a pair of slippers.  Guys, my new apartment - while awesome! - has cold floors, and the slippers I have with me had a couple of holes in the left slipper.  :(  Last night, I grabbed some spare wool yarn and a needle, and fixed that sucker right up while listening to my favourite audiobook (World War Z).

Slipper Mending
I've never mended socks or slippers or anything in this way before - in a cross-hatched woven technique.  I've duplicate stitched a lot of small holes in knitting before, but these were too big to get away with that.  It's a bit rough and probably should've been woven tighter, but I'm proud of how they turned out.  I have a set of leather patches to add to the bottom of theses slippers...somewhere, so I'm not overly concerned about how these will hold up since they'll be covered.

Slipper Mending
The mended patch works for now though, and my feet are snuggly warm in my newly fixed slippers!

Slipper Mending
I don't think I've blogged about these before.  They're a cute pair of bunny slippers from this pattern here, knitted and felted a few years back (my Ravelry project page with no pictures tells me summer 2014).  I never got around to finishing them - the poor left-footed bunny never even got a nose on her.  Maybe once my Stuffs are here, I'll dig up that pink yarn and fix her right up.  Maybe give them both some eyes.

Slipper Mending
It's a little thing, but it's nice to have these in use again.  It's one of the few personal items that I have at the apartment that I haven't had to go out and purchase nor moved around with me from couch to couch these last 6 weeks or so.  A little touch of home in my new one, and it's amazing how much better that makes me feel.  :)

4 comments:

  1. They are very cute slippers! Glad to hear you have a home again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you're settling in! Those slippers are adorable, I'm glad you got them mended-hopefully you find the leather soles soon so they'll last even longer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! Cute! I'm glad your new home is getting cozy with you. I like your patch idea. I remember my grandmother said her mother-in-law kept all of their clothing, even undergarments patched and lasting for decades. I wonder if I'd want to darn any of the socks I knit last year, should they get holes, but I'm betting I'll be too lazy :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're allowed to feel a little lost for a while; also, February has to be the best month to lose, even when things are good. ;) The slippers are adorable even without eyes, and good for you for getting them mended. Good luck settling in!

    ReplyDelete