Monday, June 20, 2016

Exciting New: Now Live!

Guys, I just bought a lot of yarn.  Like...a lot.  As in, an entire store's worth of yarn.

Itsy-Bitsy Yarn Store
THAT'S RIGHT FOLKS!  I'm now the proud owner of the Itsy-Bitsy Yarn Store in Whitehorse, Yukon!

Itsy-Bitsy Yarn Store
That is totally the face of a serious and experienced shop owner, right there.  

I officially took over the business this morning, and opened the doors to chaos and confusion as the former owner ran out the door to catch her flight about 3 seconds after we signed all the final documents, and I was left with a float all over the coffee table, paperwork all over the couch, yarn strewn everywhere, a crowd of tourists pushing to get in, and no debit/credit machine to be found.  It was a glorious!

Itsy-Bitsy Yarn Store
Luckily I've been actually working in the store all week so I wasn't completely in the dark, and everyone were so patient and understanding.  I even charmed a slightly grumpy lady from Chicago, who left the shop smiling despite the hassle of not being able to accept credit cards.  GO ME!

Itsy-Bitsy Yarn Store
How did this happen, you ask?  Well, back in February, I was facing my government job running out in June and trying to decide if I should apply for more jobs I'm capable and very competent for but not necessarily qualified for or retraining.  (As it turns out, there's just not a demand for less-experienced geos who aren't willing to relocate.)  Then an email from the LYS owners landed in my email.  And there might've been some hyperventilating after reading that they were looking for a buyer, because YES OMG YES.  A VERY immediate response, a whole whack of meetings, and months and months of business plan writing and some last minute panicking yielded this!

Itsy-Bitsy Yarn Store
Guys, it's been SO HARD to keep this under wraps, and it's entirely the reason behind all of the 'ZOMG SO BUSY' comments here and there.  Holding down a full-time and very mentally exhausting job while also trying to plan for purchasing a business is HARD holy cow.  I've nearly spilled the beans so many times, but it's been a bit tenuous and uncertain and I didn't want to jinx it!


Don't worry, this won't become a store blog.  I'll be posting just as irregularly as usual about all the stuff I make (and I've really got to get some rock posts up here - the title is starting to become false-advertising), they just might host better lit pictures within the shop, and possibly some comments about being a store owner.  

I will be starting up a separate store blog though (still hammering out what I want it to be), but I'll let you know when that goes live in case you want to follow along. 

' Itsy-Bitsy Yarn Store
I'm so excited about this adventure.  I've wanted something like this since I was a kid, but never thought it could become a reality! It's only starting to sink in that it's real, and while the panic I sort of expected is present, I feel so much at home at the store and like it's exactly where I'm supposed to be.

Itsy-Bitsy Yarn Store
Granted, that doesn't mean I'm not feeling a little crazy right now!

Itsy-Bitsy Yarn Store
Look what Sophie, the former owner left me!  (She's the one for whom I made the little going-away gift.) She said she got it when they first opened up in their original 138 sq foot location (can't really get more itsy-bitsy than that) as a blessing for the shop, and she decided to pass it on to me to keep up the blessing. That little banner is hanging up on the tiny storage closet behind a screen, and it's going to stay there for as long as I'm in that space! Isn't it lovely?

Anyways, I'm not sure how to end this. My heart is so full right now, and I feel so thankful to have this opportunity. I'm looking forward to the hard work it's going to take to keep this adorable little shop going, and I can't wait to give back to the community like Sophie and her husband did before me.

Wish me luck, folks! I'm going to need it.

23 comments:

  1. That's awesome!!!! Congrats and good vibes for the new business!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG THAT'S AMAZING! The store looks so home-y, and you at home in it. Congratulations on achieving your childhood dream. You're going to do great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! It is such a home-y store - and that's on purpose. The former owner and I both agree that it should feel like a comfy living room that you just want to curl up in and relax. :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your business-very exciting!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOLY WOW!!!!!! That's INCREDIBLE!! I am so incredibly happy for you :D The shop looks amazing, and you look amazing in it! The absolute best of luck to you in this new adventure, I guess now I have even more of a reason to plan a trip up north! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! You definitely need to come north! You can come sit on my store couch and design all the Yukon-inspired patterns that your heart secretly desires! :D Heh, I wondered what your reaction would be. <3

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!

    How awesome - how did you ever manage to keep that under wraps?!
    I totally know what you mean about wanting to do something like that since you were a kid. I just quit my job this April and am opening an online party supply store :-O
    So many changes! But you bought an actual store, that is sooo cool!

    I wish you all the success in the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of paranoia that I'd jinx myself and how much more crushing it would be if the whole thing failed - that's what kept me from talking about it. I did start to talk to more people in person though, which helped. :)

      Congrats to you on your party supply store! That sounds like so much fun! I wish you the very best of luck and success!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations!! That is so awesome and sounds like it was meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to be is pretty much how I saw it. :D Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Woooot! Heather if you need or want to talk business, I'm here. I was you nearly five years ago and while our different countries probably do things differently, business is still business! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes please! I'm still trying to get my head above water right now, but I'd love to pick your brain and get your input. <3 Thank you so much!

      Delete
  8. That is so exciting! Congratulations! Any chance some sewing merchandise is going to find it's way into your store? 8-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha maybe someday! Considering that the only garment fabric store is switching to quilting fabric and interior decor stuff, I might just have to consider expanding someday. :)

      Thanks Elle!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations, you are living my dream. Good luck to you as you travel this new path.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's a hard dream, but definitely worth it (so far)!

      Delete
  10. Well, I hope the good luck comment I posted helps you through the next few weeks - it will be such a rollercoaster, I am sure. And the bank should help you if you need to get a new machine - it must be somewhere though! Once again, best wishes and all the best luck in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops, I thought I'd responded to this already? Anyways thanks so much! It's been crazy but so good so far. :) The machine showed up in the afternoon of the first day, but it wasn't until the next day that I figured out how to set the silly thing up. :D

      Delete
  11. Good luck on your new adventure! I've working in a yarn store for four years and it is so rewarding, it's not even close to owning one but I hope you absolutely love it! Can't wait to hear about some of your adventures, hopefully I'll make it to your store some day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Geez, I really have been an Internet hermit lately! I can't believe this wonderful thing happened and I didn't know! I'm so happy for you, Heather. Of course you belong there. You're a skilled crafter and have the perfect personality for a yarn shop owner. If only I lived nearby, I'd be your best customer, or at least a consistent loiterer :).
    I cannot wait to see how this business will bless you and you'll bless your community through it. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, so I don't know how I missed this, but DAMN!!!! Congratulations! I am so jealous/happy for you!!!!!! And I hope it is going AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete