Thursday, September 25, 2014

My Favourite Fall Sweater

I don't know how it is where you all live, but fall has definitely arrived here in the Yukon (actually, it's been here for at least a month already), and the air now has that bite to it that says Old Man Winter is right on it's tail. This obviously means that it's sweater weather!  Although, short of a few days at the height of summer, every day is sweater weather for me, especially after moving north.

Andi Sutterland over at Untangling Knots recently wrote a post asking us to show her our favourite fall sweater, and it got me thinking about mine.  So far, I've completed 5 adult sweaters(which isn't too bad, considering I only started knitting a little over two years ago), and there is a clear favourite out of the bunch.

My Common Ground cardigan!

Common Ground 
I could've sworn that I'd posted about this sweater on my old blog, but I can't seem to find the post anywhere.  I finished it last October, and it took me about 3 months to knit.  Which, for me, is super fast!

Pattern: Common Ground
Yarn: Cascade Ecological Wool
Size: Uh...sort of a small/medium/large - I made a tonne of adjustments since the larger sizes got a little on the baggy side due to the raglan increases.  Details on my Rav page.

Common Ground
This is such a versitile sweater, probably because of the neutral colour and the fun textures.  The only thing wrong with it is that the neck is too wide and it tends to slide down the shoulders unless I have a long-sleeve top underneath.  Next time I make it (and there will be a next time - actually, I've been eyeing up yarn for it for a while...) I'll widen the front a bit and add buttons, sort of like how lucidfuse made theirs (sorry, that's a Ravelry link).

Common Ground
Oh, and the hood is kind of weird, but I never wear hoods up anyways.  I like the look of it down though! 

Common Ground
This sweater is perfectly warm for a cool fall day, but not overly so because of the deliberately open front and the lacework on the back and sides.  It's perfect for doing chores outside or going for a walk on a cool day.  And since it's made from wool, it's pretty tough material - great for hauling around firewood!

And you know what?  I totally forgot about this sweater until I read Andi's post!  It's been stashed away somewhere - probably my disaster of a sewing room - for the summer, and now I really need to find and wear this lovely sweater!  Especially since I have a cranberry picking adventure planned for my next time out of camp, and the weather has cooled right down.   Thanks for the reminder, Andi!

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it great? I love the combination of textures, from the ribbing, the stockinette, the lace pattern, and the squishy garter. I'm totally a texture girl, so it's no wonder this sweater is my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cardigan in really lovely!

    I have some skeins of Cascade as well, the yarn is great isn't it? I completely agree with you that it's both comfortable and durable enough to wear through hard use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to talk myself into using a different wool for the sake of experimentation, but...I LOVE CASCADE ECO! Heh, I might just have to use the same yarn again. :)

      Delete